33. 1) Although Reform Judaism began in Germany, it quickly spread to the U.S. Why were American Jews eager to embrace Reform Judaism? Did it serve as an antidote to assimilation? Explain your answer.
2) Compare the immigrant experiences of the German Jews in the mid-19th century with that of the Eastern European Jews in the early 20th century. What were some of the similarities and differences between them? Although they both, for the most part, abandoned traditional religious observances, they did it for different reasons. What were those reasons?
3) The famous black author, Richard Wright, once wrote: “All of us black people hated Jews, not because they exploited us but because we had been taught at home and in Sunday school that Jews were ‘Christ-killers.”’ At the same time, blacks realized that Jews were not like other whites. They treated blacks much better than other whites, and even when they did own slaves, they treated them much more humanely.” How do you explain the above dichotomy?
4) “There is no hope for Israel in Russia. The salvation of the downtrodden people lies in other parts, in a land beyond the seas, which knows no distinction of race or faith, which is a mother to Jew and Gentile alike. In the great republic is our redemption from the brutalities and ignominies to which we are subjected in this birthplace. In America we shall find rest’ the stars and stripes will wave over the true home of our people.”
The quotation above makes America sound like a garden of Eden but was it really true both at the time it was written, circa 1905, and is it true today? Defend your answer using specific historical evidence.
5) “The Jew saw them all, survived them all, and is now what he always was, exhibiting no decadence, no infirmities of age, no weakening of his parts, no slowing of his energies, no dulling of his alert but aggressive mind. All things are mortal but the Jews; all other forces pass, but he remains. What is the secret of his immortality?
— Mark Twain, American Author (1835-1910), “Concerning the Jews” Harpers Magazine March 1898
How would you answer Mark Twain’s questions?
In terms of the three main Jewish religions within the United States, Reform Judaism is the largest. It is located within New York City, the Union for Reformed Judaism represents the North American region’s 1.5 million people and the 900 congregations that are affiliated and is a part of the Jerusalem’s World Organization for Progressive Judaism (Wertheimer 2018). The Emancipation of the Jews, which took place in the latter half of 18th century, and sought to end centuries of oppression of European Jews and end the laws that had hindered their social and economic development and served as the backdrop to the emergence and development of this movement (Cohen 2020). Following their exile from the European ghettos, a lot of Jews have renounced their long-standing rituals of worship in order to integrate into society. Jewish dietary regulations as well as other traditional laws and practices prohibited the majority of Jews from dining in the homes of their genteel friends and from attending the social gatherings held in cafes however, this did not deter the Jews from wanting to take part in showing their fellow citizens how efficient and trustworthy citizens they were (Wertheimer in 2018,). It was humiliating for the Jews if their Christian or Catholic neighbors went to the temple and saw men wearing their bizarre prayer shawls, chanting the same prayers repeatedly as their children ran wild across the aisles. Cont…
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more