STRICTEST AND WEIRDEST COLLEGE RULES AROUND THE WORLD
Public and private colleges are prone to having unexpected college rules especially to the freshmen. Some of the college rules may inspire or demotivate you from attending a specific college.
It is therefore, important that students first know if their chosen colleges and universities have any weird rule.
Strict and Weird College Rules
Rules must be part of college life so that order is maintained. However, some colleges just go overboard in their creation of rules and standards. Find a list of selected colleges that have strict college rules which students must abide with:
Oral Roberts University
The university is located in Tulsa Oklahoma.
Oral Roberts University is an interdenominational Christian university.
- Students are required to attend church twice a week.
- Students are expected to follow a strict dressing code which does not allow tattoos or piercings. Students are expected to display a good taste and modesty in clothing choices as well as avoid lying or doing anything that “could cause Christ grief”
- They are also not allowed to hold a raffle because of its association with gambling.
- Premarital relationships are prohibited especially if they are of the homosexual nature.
- Dancing is also prohibited.
- You are still expected to follow the rules even when you are not in campus. If you take the risk, be careful of who you associate with because your friends can report you to the campus administration.
- Smoking is also prohibited and you are not allowed to get a job that is morally questionable because it will reflect badly on the school.
The college is located in Wilmore, Kentucky.
- Asbury College is a smidge more liberal than Oral Roberts University because they do allow dancing. However, you can only dance at weddings, military balls, graduations, family, and church occasions. In addition, you can only pick dancing moves from a pre-approved list.
- Students of Asbury College are not allowed to smoke, possess pornography, or do any drugs.
- You cannot drink alcohol at all! You are not allowed to even drink the non-alcoholic version of beer or cocktails, because it is believed that it opens one up to a life of lewd behavior and addiction.
- Students are not allowed to support or practice the “Occult” and the school doesn’t specify exactly what beliefs are aligned with the Occult.
- As usual with Christian schools, attending chapel is mandatory and if you can’t support other Christian functions, you will be frowned upon.
- Dressing ‘Immodestly’ is prohibited in Asbury College, however, the student manual doesn’t do much to specify what is an immodest dress. So apparently you have to figure it out through trial and error if you weren’t raised on the practice.
Ozark Christian College
The college is located in Joplin, Missouri, and area known to be very religious and conservative.
- Ozark Christian College won’t allow you to watch anything that the faculty and staff thinks is offensive.
- Illegal actions such as the purchase of alcohol or smoke cigarettes aren’t permitted, even if you are of legal age.
- Students are not allowed to go to restaurants, bars, clubs, and casinos if there is alcohol present.
- If men and women want to hang out together, they have to request the presence of a chaperone.
- If you are in a relationship, you can’t do more than hand-holding.
- You are not allowed to participate in anything considered a fad. You cannot dye your hair, and cannot have any piercings beyond the ears and nose stud.
Johnson University Florida
The university was formerly known as Florida Christian College.
Johnson University Florida manages to cross the line in controlling the students’ academic and personal life.
There are actual levels of different offences
Level 1 Offenses
Level 1 offences include:
- Playing video games that have an ‘M’ rating
- Violent or graphic entertainment including television, movies, and music.
- Violent or graphic posters
- Possession of questionable content on the computer
- There are no school sponsored dances, and you cannot dance off campus either.
Students of Johnson University Florida have their social media profiles combed through on a regular basis.
Level 2 offenses
- Smoking a cigarette
- Possession or the use of alcohol
- As a student, you are also not allowed to get a job in a restaurant that sells alcohol or work in a grocery store that sells cigarettes
Weird College Rules
Brigham Young University
The university is very specific when it comes to grooming standards and dressing code. One of the university’s code of conduct states that “Men are expected to be clean-shave; beards are not acceptable.”
The only exception to that rule comes if a student has a skin or medical condition that is affected by shaving. This means that for a student to have beard, they would first need to qualify for a beard exception.
Washington and Jefferson College
The college has a designated pet house for students. It is only pets that are considered to be family pets that qualify to live with the student.
The qualities of a family pet include:
- The pet must be one and a half years’ old
- It must have lived with the family for at least one year
- The dogs and cats must be under 40 pounds to be accommodated in the pet house
- Other acceptable pets include: small birds, guinea pigs, gerbils, fish, and turtles.
The university is located in Bangkok.
The university administration had their students wear blinders on their heads in order to prevent cheating.
These are oddly similar to the blinders that horses wear when they are working in public or in a busy city.
Perhaps they took the inspiration from another school in Thailand called the Civil Aviation Centre, who forces students to wear boxes on their heads.
When the Kasetsart University Facebook page shared a photo of the students wearing the blinders, people protested to the point where the photo was eventually removed.
Some Schools in India
- In some colleges in India, girls and boys are not allowed to touch each other. They are only allowed to make handshakes.
- These colleges have people called the ‘PDA Guards’ who are on the lookout.
PDA is the short form for public display of affection.
- The guard roams around ensuring that no one is touching a member of the opposite sex.
Bob Jones University
The university, must like many other people, has a strong opinion regarding country music.
The university band country music as well as other genres of music for religious reasons.
The university’s position of country music reads as follows:
“The following music conflicts with our mission and is therefore excluded from performance, personal listening, or use in student organizations, societies, student productions, or social media: Any music which, in whole or in part, derives from following broadly-defined genres or their sub-genres: Rock, Pop, Country, Jazz, Electronic/Techno, Rap/Hip Hop, or the fusion of any of these genres.”
When college students decide to decorate their dormitory walls with posters, they must ensure that the posters cover only 10 percent of the wall space.
The argument by the college administration is that too much paper on the wall could be a fire hazard.
8 Unwritten College Rules that All Students Should Know and Follow
College rules listed in this section will not only make you successful, but they will help you get your dream job. By the time you are joining college, there is a lot you may have been told by your parents, friends, and even high school teachers. But the rules you are about to read are the ultimate rules that will guide you from making life changing mistakes.
Accountability ranges from how you treat your studies to how you manage your allowances. Most students lack self-discipline which is essential for consistency in school. Be accountable in how you manage the money that you have to avoid being broke and opting to indulge in illegal behavior that could result in expulsion or even jail. Consistent college students knock at the door of success.
Embrace Conceptual Learning
Do not give much importance to getting very high marks in your exams. Instead give importance to concepts; understand each concept in detail. You will realize that understanding the concepts is important when you are in the job market, participating in interviews. Employers want to recruit individuals who understood what they were doing in school, not necessarily the students who got all the marks.
While in College, Participate in Training and Workshops
Enroll yourself in training programs and opportunities that present themselves while you are in college. The world outside is extremely competitive.
Employers look for individuals who are unique, and if you have additional certificates, you become unique and ultimately get a chance of getting a job. Having extra certificates also relays the notion of an individual who is ready to learn more than they are offered at any one time.
Enroll for Internships and Research Work
Make sure to encourage yourself to get an internship during your holidays so that you can get the necessary exposure to understand how business and companies run.
Doing so will be beneficial to you in your final year because when companies come for company placement, your internship experiences will make you stand a better chance of getting the job.
Participate in Co-curricular and Extra-Curricular Activities
Encourage yourself to participate in such activities so that you can gain interpersonal skills such as self-confidence, problem solving skills, and leadership skills. Such skills are important in the corporate world.
You can only gain such skills if you expose yourself to challenging and competitive situations like co-curricular and extra-curricular activities.
Participate in Volunteering Clubs and Student Committees
When you participate in volunteer activities, you get the opportunity to interact with other students, management, and sponsors.
This helps you to develop communication and problem-solving skills.
Develop a Habit of Reading Books, Newspapers, and Magazines
Reading widely helps in enriching your vocabulary and boosts your communication confidence levels. Reading widely makes you become global as you are able to view issues at a global perspective.
Network with your Seniors and Alumni
Your seniors and Alumni have been around longer than you, and they have a lot of information.
Networking with your seniors makes you learn from their mistakes and hence helping you to avoid making the same mistakes.
The Importance of College Rules
In order for the administration to manage large groups of students, having rules is necessary.
- Some rules are meant to protect students as well as the teaching staff.
- Other rules are made to ensure that there is a healthy teaching and learning environment. Just like any other societal regulations, rules at the colleges create an ample learning climate.
- Rules in colleges also teach students that there are limits to behavior that they engage in, and that the limits are meant to train them to be well behaved in a civil society.
- Rules also prepare students to getting used to following policies and procedures as employees.